Looking forward to the opening of two new businesses in the Boston area catering to vegans: Sudo Shoes, due to open
this summer this month in Porter Square, and True Bistro, a vegan restaurant coming to Teele Square.
Sudo’s craigslist ad earlier this summer said:
Sudo Shoes opens this September in Porter Square and currently has openings for full and part time sales/stock positions. We carry only cruelty free, eco-friendly footwear, offering individuals the opportunity to live and shop according to their own unique principals. It is very important to us that every member of our team share, support and identify with our mission and values. We look forward to meeting with applicants who are enthusiastic, responsible and confident, and who believe they can contribute to a positive and professional team and work environment.
Some weekends required. EOE
The storefront will be at 1771 Mass Ave, where the Barefoot Books Store used to be. Can’t wait to be able to try on Vegan shoes locally instead of ordering from the UK or waiting for a trip to Moo Shoes in NYC.
True Bistro, which will be located at 1153 Broadway in Somerville, is due to open in “early September 2010.”
On the about page, owners Michael & Linda describe what led them to create True Bistro:
For 5 years they have been questioning why there is no upscale vegan restaurant in Boston to rival those in NYC, San Francisco and Philadelphia. In May 2009, they decided to create that restaurant. The search for the right location led them to Brookline, Cambridge, Jamaica Plain and finally to a corner in Teele Square, Somerville.
They also offer a definition of veganism (helps to get a sense of where they are coming from as restaurant owners) and a list of commitments:
- We acknowledge the intrinsic value of all life and realize that non-human animals are individuals with inherent worth, not to be exploited by humans.
- We endeavor to tread lightly on the planet and be conscious of our environmental responsibilities.
- We will invest in and give back to our community.
- We will create a comfortable atmosphere that welcomes vegan & non-vegans alike.
- We value our customers and will show appreciation for their business by providing exceptional customer service and hospitality.
- We promise to serve extraordinary vegan food created from
the highest quality and freshest plant based ingredients.
Check out their menu – definitely somewhere I will be checking out as soon as it opens.