Earlier this year, composer and member of Amanda Palmer’s Grand Theft Orchestra Jherek Bischoff released a massive orchestral album Composed, featuring guest appearances from David Byrne, Tropicalía luminary Caetano Veloso, and others. Byrne’s cut, “Eyes” is a sweeping strings soundscape punctuated with a modern take on 1950s pop. The video is filled with different closeups at Byrne’s face, as well as an orchestra, and you can watch it above.
Amazing to me how consistently I love David Byrne’s work.
The album the cut is from is Composed, which features collaborations with many others:
- Introduction (Defeat)
- Eyes (Jherek Bischoff & David Byrne)
- The Secret of the Machines (w/ Caetano Veloso & Greg Saunier)
- The Nest (with Mirah Zeitlyn & Paris Hurley)
- Blossom (Jherek Bischoff with Nels Cline)
- Your Ghost (with Craig Wedren)
- Counting (with Carla Bozulich)
- Young & Lovely (with Zac Pennington & Soko)
- Insomnia, Death And The Sea (with Dawn McCarthy)
Check out Brassland records on SoundCloud for more goodness.